måndag 22 februari 2010

Carrots

I’ll tackle it vegetable by vegetable and I’ll start off with carrots since I found some fun stuff about growing them in pots! That sounds like a nice idea and it will be nice with big pots with green stuff in them. I'm pretty sure I'll grow my carrots in pots this year.

Problems: How many pots do I need? And is there enough space in the greenhouse or should I grow them on the balcony? Can I grow leek and dill in pots too, I really want to grow them together?


Carrot links
World Carrot Museum (I didn't know there was such a thing)
Vegetable Garden Guide (I got the picture from that site)
Short video from GW

4 kommentarer:

xo.sorcha.ox sa...

I think I will grow my carrots in pots this year too. Our soil can be quite hard sometimes and last year the carrots didnt too very well and they were very small. So, I've been thinking about growing them in a pot and see how it goes. Great links!
~S. xo

Shelly sa...

I haven't found any pots either, it is starting to be a little stressful because I really need to sow them soon. Let me know how it goes and I'll do the same.

Anonym sa...

Carrots can be grown in regular balcony planters - the ones that are ca. W30xH30xL50-100cm, or something like that. Big kinds tend to be L-shaped, because they hit the bottom, but there are chubby varieties to be had (and varieties that can be sown almost any time of the year). You can sow a lot and thin them occasionally leaving the rest to grow bigger - and you eat the thinnings, of course! They can be sown together with leek - they will help keeping each other's pests away. You can sow a lot of these, too, and eat the thinnings.

Mira

Shelly sa...

Thanks Mira! I plan to grow leek and carrots together, that's why I want a pretty big pot. I never been good with veggies, I hope I do okay.